Cross Bar X Staff
Current available positions: (Click on any link to view the respective job description)
- Summer Counselor
CBX Summer Counselor
May 27th - Aug. 4th 2022
$250 per week and includes room and board.
CBX has been providing a Christ-centered summer camp for socially and economically disadvantaged youth at our 150 acre facility in Durango, CO since 1977. The primary purpose of CBX is to provide high-quality summer camps and youth services at a cost that any family can afford. Our programs are designed to share the truth of Jesus Christ with every camper and help campers grow physically, emotionally and spiritually while having the adventure of a lifetime. Our camp specializes in small cabin sizes (1:5 ratio counselor to camper), single-gender camps, affordability (foster children and at-risk kids attend for free), and Gospel-centeredness. Ask any camper who has ever spent a week with us at CBX is a place you’ll never forget!
As a camp counselor, you will spend 23 hours a day living with campers. You will minister to socially and economically disadvantaged youth. When not counseling (male counselors during a female camp) you will be on "Support Staff" and will work in the kitchen, assist in leading program activities, and other support duties. Counselors will be expected to cooperate in a spirit of teamwork and unity.
You will be asked to show campers Christ´s love in the excitement of camp life. Some of the activities will include leading Bible lessons, one-on-one counseling, hiking, camping, backpacking, swimming or canoeing in the lake, ropes course, skits, and archery. It will be the counselor´s goal to make sure that each camper has been presented with the Gospel of Jesus Christ before they leave.
Responsibilities during the CBX summer program:
- Carrying out the camp program with campers
- Looking after the health and safety of campers
- Living with assigned campers day and night
- Developing close, positive relationships with assigned campers
- Promptly attending staff meetings
- Leading or assisting with program activities enthusiastically!
- Participating with campers in all camp activities such as backpacking, skits, games, swimming, singing,
high ropes course, games, except for assigned time off
- Preparing and teach assigned Bible lessons
- Making time to meet personally with assigned campers
- Being an active part of the support staff when not counseling. This may include dishes, assisting the
cook, leading, etc.
- Assisting crafts and other camp activities, life guarding, and maintenance
- Openly and honestly share needs and concerns with the Camp Director and/or the Program Director
- Promoting unity by not gossiping, using humor that belittles someone, nor showing disrespect for
- At the end of each or during camp, filling out camper follow-up forms and writing camper birthday and
- Presenting the Gospel of Jesus Christ to campers in both group and individual settings, and make sure each assigned camper knows what the Bible says about having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.